Site Navigation

Oct 27, 2014

iPhone 6 and Touch ID Login for Noobs

So this weekend I actually had a chance to setup my new iPhone 6 Plus and iPads, etc.. Because, with Yosemite and iOS 8.1, it is sort of an all or nothing proposition. To use features like iCloud drive, you have to upgrade pretty much everything. But I am heading off topic.

So, after waiting a year, I finally have touch ID. Yays! However, this is really new territory for me because I have never used the passcode feature on the iPhone or iPad. I live alone and there is nothing on my iPad to “protect” so I have never bothered to put a passcode on it. So I just swipe to unlock or open the cover and my machine is ready to go.

To use touch ID, you must turn on the passcode feature. So you set a 4 digit code which is used to log in if the touch ID doesn’t work or if you need to change touch ID settings. So, after a little experimentation, there is a right way to log into your device and a wrong way.

The Wrong Way to Log Into your Device

  1. Turn on the device.
  2. Swipe right to clear the welcome screen.
  3. Put your finger on home button to log in.

The Right Way to Log In

  1. Turn on the device.
  2. Put your finger on the home button and you are logged in.

The second step from above is completely unnecessary.

I would also recommend you train the device to recognize both of your thumbs so you can open the device with either hand.

Post a Comment

Favorite Links Feed