Lots of buzz this week from the Google I/O conference. CNET has this nice summary post for us with links to key technologies. Some of this stuff is really taking the whole "the network is the computer" thing to a new level. As these initiatives progress, expect to see more and more applications running from your browser. Take the native client for example. Google showed off a Photo editor running in the browser. When processor intensive applications like this start to work really well, your operating system starts to become irrelavent. That is a complete game changer for how people will think about their computers.
May 29, 2009
May 28, 2009
A quick explanation for non World of Warcraft players. WowHead is an online tool that lists all the items in the game. Many players use it to research gear for their avatars.
May 26, 2009
I wish I had found this site a lot sooner. The HTML Color Code and Names page on computerhope.com has a listing of all the Hex codes and names for colors in HTML. In addtion, samples of each are included. Very helpful for you CSS adventures.
May 25, 2009
May 20, 2009
May 8, 2009
The links should be fixed now on blueskyworkshop.com. The following code does the trick. Essentially, it just adds a
target attribute with a value of
_top to all link elements. This moves the linked page to the top most frame. Thus, any container frames are removed.
May 7, 2009
I just realized yesterday that if you access this blog by my blueskyworkshop.com URL, links are captured in the Frameset I created to pull in my Blogger page. This was not my intention. Hopefully I can fix this shortly. Should be an easy fix with JQuery.
May 6, 2009
Ever notice how most of the rich text controls for HTML textareas are mostly overkill for what is needed? Every wish for something simpler? Well now you have an alternative. Check out MarkItUp!. This JQuery based control can turn any textarea into a text mark up control. MarkItUp supports HTML, Markdown, TexTile and other Wiki markup syntaxes. Looks very cool.
The easiest way to use the server is to just update your script tag to use a Google URL. For example, to use the latest version of JQuery I would simply use this script tag.
That is pretty much a slam dunk. Available URLs for JQuery, Dojo, etc... are listed in the documentation.
According to Google, the fastest and most flexible way to load the library is with the
google.load() method. So the above script tag is replaced with a call to the Google jsapi library. Here is a sample of head section from my JQuery-Examples page.
Basically, you load the
jsapi libary which in turn loads JQuery. Apparently, the compressed version of the library is loaded by default, given that, I added the third parameter to the
load method. Firebug tells me that the
jsapi lib is 5k and JQuery is about 35k so I think I'm getting the minified version. Also, the documentation suggests I use
google.setOnLoadCallback to detect page load instead of the similar JQuery function.
So to sum up. If you want simple, go with the first option. If you want fastest, go with option 2. Either way, your Ajax enabled pages are gonna load a lot faster. Thanks Google!
May 1, 2009
With my work begining on JDK 7, I went to download the latest version and realized I need to build the JDK from source. This seems like a perfect opportunity to give Virtual Box a try on OS X. I decided Ubuntu would be the best guest operating system to run, so I downloaded the software and and installed it.
To help me out I found this article on installing Ubuntu 9.04 on Virtual Box. Well everything worked great until I got to the part where I need to boot off the installer CDROM. When I tried to do that, I got this error: No Bootable Medium Found. So Googling around I found this support article which identified the fact it wasn't a problem with my boot disk. After a little sniffing around I found that you have to enable "Passthrough" for you CDROM drive for the boot disc to work. After doing that, the VM started up fine and I was installing! Yay!
The installation went very smooth. When you are done everything works, but the VM screen resolution was only 800x600. Virtual Box has a set of tools for fixing this sort of thing up like VMWare. But instead of being call the Virtual Box Tools, they are the Virtual Box Additions. Different name, same thing as VMware tools. However, the installer for this is much, much better than the VMWare tools. I just ran one script, and everything is installed. This was much easier than my last experience with VMWare and Ubuntu. Anyway, after the reboot, everything worked fine. The screen resolution is much better and the mouse no longer gets captured in the VM. The CPU utilization seems a tad higher then VMWare, but other than that, getting things up and running was pretty easy. I'm looking forward to playing around more.
Note: For full disclosure, I am an employee of Sun Microsystems which owns Virtual Box.